Friday, September 18, 2009

Full Term (37 weeks) tomorrow

Today I went out to Ikea and Fairway to pick up a few items. I guess the belly's grown larger because THREE people asked if I was having twins. I'm going to be optimistic and blame it on the dress I was wearing, because I really don't feel that ginormous. And yesterday's OB visit revealed that baby Z is still under 7 pounds, so he's not that ridiculously big.

Have been getting prepared for the Big day, whenever it comes. I don't feel like it's going to be in my immediate future. I have at least a week to go. Worked out a birth/labor plan that just might work. I might have mentioned before that I was a little concerned about the distance between our apartment and the hospital. I don't want to get there too early, because I don't want to get tied to a bed, but I also don't want to give birth at the side of the road. Then I remembered that a friend of mine lives a few blocks from the hospital! I asked if I could use her apartment as a "labor center" where I could get through the early stages of labor in comfort before going to the hospital for the big moment. She happily agreed!

I bought a birthing ball and a few hot and cold compresses. From what I gather, bouncing on the ball, and doing the breathing exercises help to cope with the pain by getting you into a rhythm, and giving you something else to concentrate on. It was particularly helpful to speak with one of S's friends, a mother of a 1 year old, who birthed naturally and was strengthened by the experience. She reminded me that the contractions are just one minute apart, and you have to remember that they are going to end. In between the contractions there is a rush of adrenaline and other chemicals to the brain, so you feel really good! You just have to remember to live in the moment, and not concentrate on the future contractions. Talking to her left me with a boost of confidence, because she was able to deliver a 9.5 pound baby boy without a hitch. Also, because Dr Pepper loves reminding me that my son has a huge noggin, we've been doing nightly perineal massage to stretch out the Kegal muscle. No episiotomy for me!

I feel confident. Let's do this!

2 comments:

  1. good luck! i can't believe it has already been 37 weeks. seems like just yesterday when you came out with the news on your blog. when is your due date? i'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a lot of research! Yay! I'm so excited for you. I was thinking about bringing the yoga ball (basically the birthday ball) with me to the hospital but have since realized that the pain that comes with having SPD (some pubic bone dysfunction) is becoming too much for me to handle and I might just ask for the epidural when I walk in. (Lame, I know!)

    9.5 pounds and natural! Awesome!

    I honestly can't believe some people. Why would they even ask that? I mean, if you were having twins I'm sure you'd be the first one to say, "Twins!" People piss me off sometimes, I swear!

    ReplyDelete