Monday, April 5, 2010

When the parents are away...

My mom is taking care of my child for a week and I am scared. Not for his safety, I'm 100% sure he's going to be in one piece when we return. I'm afraid he's going to be a whiny brat when she gives him back.
The thing is, we have been lucky and have the least fussy baby in the universe. He doesn't need constant attention, and only gets a little pouty when he's hungry. As long as this baby is well fed, he's perfect. We have been nurturing this by letting him play by himself. I put him in his exer-saucer and walk away, or sit him on the floor (propped up by his boppy so he doesn't fall over) and out his toys in front of him. We put him to bed while he's still awake and let him self-soothe, and fall asleep on his own. We take him everywhere. He's been to dinner, to happy hour at bars, he's been held by random strangers, he's even been to one of his father's rock shows. I fully understand that you can not do this with 99% of the babies out there. I am aware of how easy we have it, how lucky we are.

My mother can not leave my child alone for more than 2 minutes. She is constantly holding him. If someone else (like my dad) is holding him, she can go about 10 minutes before she takes him back. She hovers. She is constantly trying to entertain him. She puts him to sleep in her arms. No amount of reasoning with her is working. She smiles and nods, but does not follow through. So I'm worried that all the training that S and I have put in will be lost during the week we are not around him. They say that it takes 3 days to make a habit. What will seven days do?

I hope that at some point (by the second day or so) my mom will realize that she needs to shower and has to put him down. She'll realize that, right?

2 comments:

  1. OH LORD. I can tell you right now that my son is like yours in that he's just as sweet as pie. He spends 4-5 working days with my parents and I have him all by myself on Saturday (cuz Hubs works on Saturdays) and sometimes he does get that way where he does not want to be left alone. It makes things tough to get any household chores done when he wants attention like that but I take it as a sign that I should enjoy my time with him and put aside the housework.
    It does go away once he's with you again. Promise. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean, that the whiney, need for attention goes away...not the feeling of enjoying him. LOL. Just thought I'd clarify.

    ReplyDelete