Monday, August 3, 2009

Vanity / Self-pity

I was/am mentally prepared for a baby. I was not prepared for the toll it would take on my body.

Ack. I got stretch marks. They are on the lower part of my stomach, below my navel. It's the part of my abdomen I can't see anymore without a mirror. So it took me a while to realize that they were even there.

When I did discover them, it hit a little harder because I wasn't expecting them. I had thoroughly convinced myself that I wouldn't get any, because my mom didn't get any and none had shown up by the end of my second trimester. Ah, but my mom only gained 15 pounds the entire length of her pregnancy, an amount I gained in the first 15 weeks of mine. Damn her for giving me false hope.

I don't have a good reason to be upset. My baby is healthy, and this pregnancy has been a breeze so far, with no complications. But darn it, I wanted to be able to bounce back to my former self with little or no evidence of having pushed a human being out of my body. The kid should be evidence enough. I don't want a pouch, or stretch marks, or saggy boobs! I want my body back!

"Vanity, definitely my favorite sin."

1 comment:

  1. Argghhh.. one of the downsides of pregnancy, for sure. I had been an athlete all of my life, so becoming pregnant and having to endure all of my bodies changes, and then having to deal with all of the changes post-pregnancy... have been difficult to say the least. Some people do bounce back in no time - unfortunately I was not so lucky. It took me nearly two years to bounce back, and even now, I've just come to accept that things will never be the same for me. My boobs are bigger, but not as firm, and vain person that I am, actually went to a doctor to see if I was eligible for a lift, or if it even made sense for me to have one done. He told me a year ago that proper exercise and diet could "fix" my body, and I have to say, he was right. It's been hard, but I'm actually happy with my body right now.

    But... not anything for you to worry about now, my dear. After you have your baby, I'll forward you over my boob-lifting and post-baby workout. =]

    ReplyDelete